Sunday 10 July 2011

A Day in the Life

Annnnnnd it's Sunday already.  Again.  And July.  How did that happen?  Where is time going????  I hear it just gets faster as one gets older....how is that possible??  I mean, what am I doing with my time?

So my life.  It's busy....it's awkward at times...it's amazing.  I'm not looking for a congrats or compliment, but rather, I want to see where I come from...where I'm going every day.  First, I should explain a bit about my typical days.  Okay so I have 3 boys, 2 of whom go to school. 

So the alarm goes off at 7:00am.  I slap the snooze right out of that bitch two or three dozen times and then I very grumpily drag myself out of bed and go try and rouse the sleeping monsters, all without waking up the youngest, who is usually in my bed sleeping across my pillow with his feet in my face anyways.  So downstairs we breeze to make a healthy wholesome breakfast of sugar cereal, or something frozen that we defrost in the toaster and the boys eat approx 4 bites before I have to make them go brush their teeth.  Now none of this is pleasant.  Just wanted to clear that up.  I'm leaving out the parts about all the yelling, bribing, pleading and tears.  So off they go to school and I have a few minutes to myself.  I usually make a coffee and my breakfast and take that quiet time to check my email, facebook, twitter, gmail, blogger, TFLN, DListed, damnyouautocorrect, etsy, ebay, etc......I have about 14 1/2 minutes to complete all this and then I must get myself up and dressed before the sitter arrives.  So I try on every piece of clothing in my closet, throwing it all over my room, occasionally crying and stamping my feet or texting the girls at work for suggestions before I settle on the first thing I tried on.  By now the baby has awoke and is grumpy and trying to talk me into laying back in bed with him and nursing him all morning by lovingly smashing his fists on the pillow and screaming "A BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!!!!!". 

Now I have to entertain him, while I try to finish doing my hair, makeup, shower etc.  Usually entertaining him consists of trying to prevent him from throwing things in the toilet and eating my makeup.  The sitter always walks in once he has makeup smeared all over his face and has managed to dump my coffee onto him and smash his head on something and get both arms into the toilet water and I know she judges me.  And it's now 9:39 and I start work at 10.  Off I go!  I usually work 10-8ish...or 9ish.  And I always overbook myself.  Why? I haven't figured it out yet.  I think I need a really bitchy secretary to work for me and make my appointments.  One who knows the word "NO" and "a week from next Tuesday".  I always manage to get about 20 minutes behind by 10:56am and continue to run that way the entire day.  Once my work day is done, I turn out most of the lights, crank up the music and sing and dance for a bit while I clean up.  This is my "unwinding" time and I apologize to the broom for making it feel awkward as my dance partner. Now I get to go home!

By the time I get home, most days the two older boys are in bed already.  Did I even talk to them that day??  I make a mental note to try and wake them up 5 minutes earlier the next day so I can ask them how they are.  The baby is barely awake still and promptly perks up when he sees me and starts screaming "A BOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBB!" at me instantly.  My husband has made supper, fed everyone, cleaned the house, got the boys off to bed and entertained the baby after his day at work.  We usually manage to have a 7 minute conversation with one another, but never anything in depth.  It's late.  We're tired.  And there's no time to start anything major so we are usually just are content to sit with each other on the couch with a glass of wine and watch TV in peace.  Is this ideal?  Probably not, but it's all we have right now.  I'm sure once the boys all move out, we'll have more time for each other! 

Before we know it, it's 11pm and we're both nodding off.  The baby is sleeping hanging off my boob and it's time for bed.  I'm sleeping before I even lay down and tomorrow, I'll do it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment