Thursday 28 July 2011

Scratch and Sniff

Do you ever wonder what you smell like?  Like...I don't mean the usual perfume...or BO or whatever....but like you, your skin....what do you smell like?  And this is probably kind of  a strange thing to wonder, but this is the kind of shit that keeps me up at night.  I mean, maybe it's just because I work SO closely and intimately with people (hairdresser for those not sure and wondering if I'm a hooker or something) that I am usually very aware of how people smell.  I also have a very sensitive sense of smell so I notice right away.  And not that people smell badly, or stink...but just that everyone has a smell.  Then I wonder, what do people think I smell like?  If I'm close enough in your face that I can smell you, you gotta be able to smell me!  It's like when my sister borrows clothes from me, she always remarks on how she likes the smell of our laundry.  I can't smell anything on them and always wonder what it is she likes about it.  Do I smell like that? 

Okay now here's the really neurotic part.  I do this thing.  Because my smeller is sooooo sensitive, when I walk past people for the first time that look like they could smell questionable, I always hold my breath.  I don't even realize I do it anymore.  Especially on a hot summer day when you get those old guys out in their polyester suits and you can see they are sweaty and hot......hold my breath.  Out on a shopping trip with one of the girls from work, we walked past a guy digging around in the thrift store (breath hold in that place FOR SURE!) and she commented on how much he smelt of soap and I had to fess up that I was holding my breath.  She looked at me like I was crazy and wondered out loud if I hold my breath around her.  So I had to explain that no, just people who look...you know...stinky?  Great, so am I a prejudicial smeller??  I don't know what I see that makes me think people might not smell good, other then the usual winter coat wearers on a hot summer day.  And all my concern about other peoples smells, maybe I stink??? 

These are life's mysteries to me.  But smell is important to me!  And as I ponder all this, I sit here at work on my lunch break eating hummus....garlicky hummus.....and I'm sure my clients coming in this afternoon are going to hate me for it!  I'm sorry to all my next clients!  I already sent my husband a message at work that he should also eat some at lunch today so he can stand to sleep in the same bed as me tonight.  But do other people really worry about stuff like that or am I just crazy?? 

Smells I love : jiffy markers, breastfed babies (there is a difference between them and bottle fed babies), my husbands skin after it's been out in the sun, onions and garlic cooking in butter, lillies, camping

Smells I hate: laundry that sat in the wash too long, inside of fridges, when I wash a heavy smokers hair and get it wet, wet dog, morning breath, BO smells left in clothes, cabbage cooking, the inside of a dishwasher

What smells do you love and hate?  Do I stink?  You don't have to lie to me.  I can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment